Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Decoration Design: Christmas Continues with Nicecrane Designs

http://nicecranedesigns.com/

Hello on this lovely Wednesday evening.  It is time to share my latest Nicecrane Designs creation with you all.  I've been on a bit of a 'Christmas in July' kick this month and it continues with today's creation.

Ignacio has these wonderful pyramid style ornaments and I decided I would try my hand at putting one together.  This one uses a sweet vintage image from the Funny Christmas Ball I collection. 

Now I have to warn you that it didn't turn out very well at all.  In fact, this post is going to serve as...
 
A Cautionary Tale on What NOT to Do
  1. The first thing I learned is that you really shouldn't print out the template on ordinary copy paper.  I thought I'd be brilliant and save some of my cardstock.  WRONG DECISION.  Printing on anything other than cardstock just makes your pieces too flimsy.
  2. Invest in a good pair of eyes and a steady hand OR have someone else cut the circles for you.  Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call the shapes I ended up with as being circular.
  3. Don't be skimpy with your pop dots.  I only had a few pop dots left (actually I still haven't been able to get anymore as of yet) so I thought that I would conserve them by cutting them into four.  WRONG DECISION.   Of course, it might also have to do with the fact that the paper is so flimsy but all the pieces have definitely warped a bit.
  4. Be sure to line up the midpoint of the top of the built up pyramid with the hole that is going to serve as the top.  Right now the kids are on a bit of lean and the whole thing looks off kilter.
  5. Finally, don't leave your completed ornament anywhere near where your cat prowls.  REALLY WRONG DECISION.  Now the ornament looks even more warped and battered than it did before.  Oy vey!
So apologies to Ignacio for doing such a poor job with this ornament.  However, I hope it provides you, my readers, with a list of things NOT TO DO when you decide to make one of your own.  

Once I finally get the chance to purchase more pop dots, I will be trying again.  I will definitely not be repeating these same mistakes.


OVERALL
Digital Image Details: 
  • Funny Christmas Ball I:  This set features two wonderful templates for creating your own ornament.  For this decoration I used the image you see in the top right hand corner of the preview below.  Click on the name or the watermark below to take you to its location in the store.
Funny Christmas Ball
Paper Products:  
  • Decoration base: Michael's Recollection's Cardstock.
  • Image base:  Standard Photocopy paper (A BIG NO-NO). 
Ribbon:
  • Crafts brand, purchased at Dollarama.

Before I go... 
Perhaps I can entice you into checking out another of the pyramid balls?!  This one is called Christmas Ball by Bowyle.  I have plans for it as well and I'm praying I will do a much better job with it. (click on image below to head to its location).
Christmas Ball by Bowyle (Pyramid Style)
Don't forget, to stay current on ALL the latest releases and to check out the fabulous inspiration from my fellow DT members, be sure to head over to the Nicecrane Designs blog.
 

Thanks for popping in and checking out my latest creation even if it wasn't all that good.

Stay cool my friends if you are experiencing summer where you are.  I'll see you all again very soon with another creation. 

Until next time,

5 comments:

Granmargaret said...

It looks lovely Lisa.

KT Fit Kitty said...

I love it, Lisa! You did a beautiful job! Thank you for the list of what not to do - will save me some trouble I am sure! I really like how this turned out!

Edwina said...

Hi Lisa, You always make bad things sound funny. I don't know why you didn't like the cat's help. :) I hope you get some pop dots soon. This ornament image is so cute. I love images like this so much. Nicecrane has wonderful images to use and I always enjoy your posts on the ones you use. Thanks for sharing. Edwina Brown

Nicecrane Designs said...

wowww wowwww Lisa,,,,so amazing Xmas ball,,,,, love the 3D effect, Thanks for worrying for me and all over for this cute creation,,,,I thinki this ball is the only with these image,,,,and I love it,,

Nicecrane Designs said...

wowww wowwww Lisa,,,,so amazing Xmas ball,,,,, love the 3D effect, Thanks for worrying for me and all over for this cute creation,,,,I thinki this ball is the only with these image,,,,and I love it,,