Starting today, January 15th, the Scribbles Designs Challenge Blog goes live. The challenge rules are simple. Challenges occur monthly on the 15th beginning at 7am PST. Please use a Scribbles Designs image, following the theme of the challenge. You can enter as many times as you'd like and you are welcome to combine your entry with other challenges. However, we ask that you enter new projects/cards only - no back linking. Challenges ends at 9pm PST on the 14th of the month. Winners of the previous month's challenge will be announced on the next challenge posted on the 15th of each month and the winner, chosen by Random.org will receive 3 digital images. Additionally, there will be 1 digital image handed out for each of the Top 3, chosen by the Scribbles Designs Design Team. We really hope that you will all join us for our very first challenge. We are starting a brand new adventure and would love for you to be part of it from the start!
You can purchase your Scribbles Designs images HERE.
You can also find some free sentiments from Sandy's personal blog HERE.
To get you motivated, here is a card I created using one of Sandy's fabulous free sentiments.
Here is the front of the card...
And here is the inside...
This card has significant meaning for me as it was the first well laid out, hand made card I had ever sent to my cousin Karen. Well there was a Christmas card a few months previously but I had JUST started making cards so that one was really, really, basic. Anyways, this card is significant for another reason as this is the first, yes I said first, birthday card that I have ever sent her. Now some of you may be thinking, 'wow, they must not really be a close family if this is the first card she ever sent her' BUT there is a reason why this is so.
You see, I never knew Karen existed until a day back at the end of November, 2011, when I got a phone call from my mother informing me I had another cousin. Now, at first I thought, "My uncle has fathered another child? The man is 70 years old for crying out loud." But no, that was not it. My uncle and the woman he was with 45 years ago, had a child that they put up for adoption and NEVER told anyone in the family about. Karen went searching for her birth family about 12 years ago and found her mother relatively quickly. Unfortunately, her mother only knew that her father was in Costa Rica but not how to contact him. Then in the summer of 2011, my uncle was in Canada and gave Karen's mom a call. He met Karen at that point and in time she got the contact information for my mother and contacted her who of course contacted me.
I was so overjoyed that I actually had tears running down my face. You see, I am an only child. I grew up with 2 first cousins both only children and both males--and one of whom always seemed to resent me growing up. Now I find out that not only is there another cousin out there, but she's a girl and only 3 months younger than I am. I've missed out on a lifetime of getting to know her and am so thrilled she is now in my life. So, this post is dedicated to my first cousin Karen. May it be the first of many, many birthday cards she will receive from her long lost blood relatives.
Here are the card details, I hope I haven't forgotten anything...
- Keep in mind that this card was made at a time when I knew nothing about making sure your character is grounded so she does look a little funny just floating there. So, think of her as Birthday Cake Angel flying to bring you in a sweet slice of numiness. Her wings are just invisible that's all.
- The outside sentiment is one of Sandy's Scribbles Designs digi sentiments available as a freebie HERE. Please take some time to check out all the freebies Sandy has available on her blog. I'd also encourage you to head over to her store HERE for more wonderful designs for purchase. It is printed onto Recollection's Cardstock White Paper.
- Digital stamp of the lady holding the cake is from Milk Coffee Stamps. It is coloured using Copic(R) markers. Seeing as it was over eight months since I created this card I'm going on memory for some of the colours. Okay, really I'm just guessing but they sound like they'd work. Hair: E000, E31, E33, E37. Flesh: E000, E00, E02; I might have used some E11 for deeper shading; R20 for rosy cheeks. Clothing: BG 10???, BG 15 (shorts); Y13, Y15 and Y17 (top)--there might by Y11 in there too; Sorry I know R34 is in there somewhere but I can't remember what I put with it and I don't have either my list or markers upstairs (vest and shoes). Cake: Candles: Y11, Y13. That should about cover it.
- The inside sentiment is from TLC Creations. It is also printed onto Recollection's Cardstock White Paper.
- Paper: The card base is from Dollarama(R) purchased as part of a pastel paper pack awhile back; the yellow dotted background paper, the yellow/white/pink paper and the 'accessories' paper on the inside left is from Recollection's All Girl paper pad purchased at Michael's; the hot pink paper I used to back the image (ie. shadow) is from some of Michael's open stock scrapbook paper.
- The hot pink pearl-like embellishments were purchased at Dollarama.
- A couple of the challenges requested flowers. There are a number of pink flowers in the background paper.
- Make It Monday -- MIM #123: Anything Goes (always)
- Challenges For Everybody -- Challenge #11: Anything Goes
- My Heart Pieces Digital Stamp Challenge -- Getting Girly
- Divas By Design Challenge -- Anything Goes
- ATCs and Cards With Attitude -- Challenge 31: Add A Tag or Sentiment/Anything Goes
- Fat Pages and Cards with Attitude -- Challenge 31: Add A Tag or Sentiment/Anything Goes
- Wags 'n Whiskers Rubber Stamps -- Challenge 95: Celebrations
- Paper Crafting Journey -- Anything Goes
- Artistic Inspirations Crafts -- Challenge 24: Anything Goes
- Through the Craftroom Door -- Challenge Jan 15th-21st 2013
- Catch the Bug Blog -- Week Long Birthday Bash: Anything Birthday
- 613 Avenue Create -- Challenge #2: Anything Goes
- Dream Valley Challenges -- Challenge #48: Anything Goes
- Glitter 'n Sparkle Challenge Blog -- Challenge #15: Use a Digi
- The Squirrel and the Fox -- Challenge #35: Anything Goes
- Lexi's Creations -- Challenge #81: Anything Goes
- Word Art Wednesday -- Challenge #62: Hearts/Anything Goes
- Digi Darla's -- DDC #45: Anything Goes
- Joyful Stamper -- Inspire Me Fridays 91: Anything Goes
- One Stitch at a Time Challenge -- Challenge #146: Anything Goes
- Papertake Weekly -- Anything Goes
- Jen's Digi Stamps -- Challenge #1: Celebrate
- Simply Create Challenges -- Linky Party #17
- Paper Pretties Blog -- Brads
- MyPaperCrafting.com -- Weekly Link-Up Party
- Shelly's Images -- Anything Goes
- 2 Sisters Challenge Blog -- Challenge #126: Celebrations
- Pin and Tack -- SYCN Challenge #5: Anything Goes
- Forever Friends Challenge Blog -- Birthdays
- Inky Chicks -- Anything Goes
- Bunny Zoe's Crafts -- Anything Goes
- Lady Anne's Challenges -- Anything Goes
- Cards Galore Challenges -- Anything Goes
- Crafty Blogger's Network -- Flowers
- Digital Tuesday Challenge -- Flower Power
- Crafter's Digital Art Centre -- Anything Goes
Some more challenges may be added to this list throughout the week or month.
I apologize if there are any formatting issues. This is a scheduled post and we all know Blogger has a mind of it's own. If it turns out that something looks wonky, I'll fix it as soon as I'm able to.
Thanks so much for stopping by and please leave some love if you have the time.
Until next time,